Wednesday, October 3, 2007

What a Tool!

What a Tool!
RSS...feeds...aggregator!!! When I first encountered these concepts a few days ago, I was stressed out trying to meet work deadlines, church responsibilities, and completing readings and assignments. A quick read about RSS made little sense. Then on a recent camp out in Greenbrair State Park, with the wind blowing gently against the blue sky, I dared to venture into the RSS forest again.
Wikipedia and BBC News articles on RSS summarized and introduced the intent of RSS...to track useful websites, blog entries, podcasts, and news in an automated format. Sign up for a reading software tool, also called an aggregator, and you can automatically track updated content to your favorite internet favorites. One aggregator tool is bloglines.com, a freebie for all t use.
I registered at bloglines, and in a mater of 30 minutes, I subscribed to 16 different feeds representing 16 different web sites or pages.. the feeds sends updated content to the 16 sites I identified. Now I will be up to date on research and information related to deaf education and culture, world news, and grammar and vocabulary sites. If I find the sites useful, I will continue subscribing to their feeds, but I can also delete a site/feed if it proves less useful than I originally thought.
RSS does much work for you making it an essential tool for collaborative learning environments.

No comments: